Dated 1834-1837. From Scientific apparatus, musical instruments and telegraph equipment, [1834-1875].
Apparatus designed by Peter Barlow (1776-1862), physicist, to demonstrate the principles of the electric motor. Known as Barlow’s wheel, a current is passed through the wheel into a mercury reservoir, the magnetic force created reacts with a U-shaped magnet causing the wheel to turn. Consists of a copper stellated wheel with mercury trough made by J Newman, Regent St. Used by Wheatstone for teaching. [See K/PP107/5/103.]